Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Daddy I have a question for you in my bedroom." To most people this would seem like an interesting thing for an eight year old say. The thought that their son, so young, would use those words might just put some fear in a grown mans heart.
This, however, is our little routine every night. My son gets ready for bed, feeds his hamster, says his prayer, and kisses his mother and me goodnight. You would think that is where it ends, but no. Like I said about an hour later he comes out from his room and says that he has an important question for me.
This is our little exchange for tonight.
"Daddy I have a question for you in my bedroom."
(Now those of you with sons might be worried about that sentence, and yes I was. So I went and prepared myself for the worst)
"How hot is it in the desert?"
"Sometime 110-130 degrees"
"Why would people like to go there then?"
"I don't know"
"Maybe they like to look at the flowers?"
"Maybe"
"Birds live in the cactus."
"Oh do they?"
"Yes, because that is where the water is."
"I didn't know that. Now go to sleep."
"Goodnight Daddy."
"Goodnight."
Well the question wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but it did fulfill his question of the night. Oh well I guess I just should be glad he's not old enough to ask about such things as..... well you know what I mean.

No comments: