Thursday, April 12, 2007

A confession long overdue.


It was ninth grade, and like most ninth graders I was not very interested in being in school. I was even less interested in being in Mr. Morseys earth science class.
Not that I have anything against this teacher, or the class for that matter, at least I don't have anything against them now. But like I said, "It was ninth grade."
In this class I had a friend named Willie. Willie was a great guy but he wasn't the greatest of students. It wasn't a matter of him being dumb, he was just less interested in school then I was.
One day, in earth science class, Mr. Morsey returned the graded test we had taken a few days before. The grades were pretty much the same as usual. Gary and Joe got A's, Brett and I got B's, Doug got a C and Willie of course didn't do very well. Of course Willie blamed the teacher for not liking him for the bad grade. Never would it cross our minds that maybe the grade was due to the fact that Willie never studied for the test.
Anyhow, Willie was mad and wanted to get some sort of revenge on Mr. Morsey.
This is where the confession part of this blog comes in.
Mr. Morsey had a fish tank, nothing real exciting, just a ten gallon with some goldfish.
Anyway, in this classroom there were all kinds of chemicals, especially acids. I made the suggestion that maybe Willie could put some of the acid in the fish tank, and though I was pretty much joking, Willie thought it was a decent idea.
He gets up out of his seat and walks over to the chemicals, and slowly pours a little acid into the fish tank. Not to be out done Brett and Doug decide to follow Willies lead.
After about fifteen minutes, the whole time the three boys taking turns at adding chemicals to the water, something strange began to happen.
The three fish began to swim slowly, and their scale started to turn white. After a few more minutes all three were doing the backstroke at the top of the tank.
Of course, to a group of ninth grade juvenile delinquent boys, this episode was all the bit funny. Not so much though to Mr. Morsey, who didn't bring anymore goldfish to the room.
But what can I say, it was Ninth grade.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Did I ever tell you that I did ask him one time if he ever thought of having fish in the room?? He said that he once had them but they were too much trouble to keep...yea right!