Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fields of green.



This is for Shawn, Jason, Mark, Nicole, Joey, Hannah, and to all of those for whom it stopped long before it ever truly started. May you all rest in peace.


What lies beyond?
The fields of green,
A winding path
To a world unknown.

On higher ground I stand
But can only see,
A thinly veiled wall
Of mist and fog.

A group walks past
Their faces known,
I speak, but
They do not hear.

How is it I see them
And they not me,
As I stand beside
The steps they take.

I stand with them
But cannot move,
I try
But cannot go forward.

I want to see the other side
To know what is beyond,
Yet I know it is not my time
So I can only watch from where I am.

One by one
They step and move ahead,
Transforming from what once was real
To that of lucid memory.

One by one they turn and wave
One last smile then vanish into the mist,
Like beacons of a distant star
They shine then fade away.

2 comments:

Oberon said...

.......i had a cat named sam.....a long time ago......nice kitty.

Dani said...

That is beautiful, and touching. It made me tear up. You have a great gift.